Monday, April 2, 2012

Tutorial: Swirls..

Hi all :)

Linda asked if I could do a tutorial on the swirl, that I've been doing a lot lately [POST] [POST] [POST].. That got me thinking as to where I found that idea.. I then remembered that Rina did a swirl design a couple of months ago.. It must have been locked in my brain and giving me inspiration :) haha..

Well, I wanted to do a tutorial when I made my Charlie and the Chocolate Factory mani, but since it ended up as such a failure in my opinion, the tutorial did too.. So I decided to go ahead and do it on a fake nail. This one is on a stick :P And it is HUGE both in width and in length, so don't try to squeeze such a big design on to  your natural nail (unless you have long nails)..

I didn't really know how much detail I should go into.. But.. ehm.. here it is. Hope it's helpful :)

Here's the tools I used.. A dotting tool and a nail art brush.. Start out with a dot in the center

Then put a little 'tail' on the dot with the dotting tool, kind of like a comma. From there I switch over to use my brush. Carry on with the curve and make sure to have a distance to your dot.

Well, then just keep doing arcs.. I don't know how else to say this, so I'll just let the pictures talking :p

Aand continue..

In the end you have to 'cut corners' with your arcs, to get the impression that the swirl is continuing outside of your nail.. And then you're actually done.. Or you could...

...add some dots to your swirl. Just place random dots on top of the lines.. And top coat and done :)

When I do nail art, I like to palce small blobs of nail polish on a playing card (because it has a 'slippery surface') and then dip in my brush or dotting tool. I used to take it from the brush of the nail polish, but this gives better control. Here's how my playing card looked after doing this 'nail':

 I'm aware that you waste a bit of nail polish by doing it like this, but it makes it so much easier!

I hope this was just slightly helpful, Linda and other interested :) I really dig this color combo!

If any of you are doing swirl-manis I would like to see them, so feel free to post a link in the comments ;)

Have fun and take care!

6 comments:

  1. That's a great way to mark you cards when playing poker, but don't you think it's a bit obvious hahahaha
    I use anything from envelopes to business cards - and personally I never found that the surface really mattered, as long as it doesn't soak the poish/color up, of course ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ;) Maybe that wouldn't work :p
      I feel like 'normal' paper soaks it up a bit.. But it's probably just something in my head ;)

      Delete
  2. Så er jeg med, det skal helt klart prøves :) Og det ser faktisk rigtigt sødt ud med de grønne prikker også.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Det er godt :) Jeg vil meget gerne se resultatet! Du kan måske sende det på en mail? Eller har du en blog?
      Ja jeg synes prikkerne giver den lidt.. friskhed.. heh

      Delete
  3. This is so cool! Definitely adding to my list of things to try, thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so very welcome! I'm looking forward to seeing your take on it :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...