Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Artsy Wednesday - Easter: Gækkebreve...


Hi all :)

 For this Artsy Wednesday the theme is 'Easter'.. I'm not big on holidays and holiday-themed stuff, so I wasn't sure what to do. I didn't want to do eggs, bunnies and sheeps like so many are doing 'cause I don't really have any relationship with those things.. I talked with my mom about it and I'm pretty sure she suggested 'gækkebreve' which I later found out is only a Danish tradition, that's why I couldn't find an english word for it..

 So I need to explain it for you briefly. A 'gækkebrev' is a kind of paper cutting that children do around easter.
What is special about it is that you write a riddle on it and sometimes an easter poem. The riddle is often 'mit navn det står med prikker, pas på det ikke stikker' - my poor english translation: 'my name is put in dots, whatch out it doesn't sting'. Haha. It sounds ridiculus in english :p
Well the sender puts as many dots on the 'gækkebrev' as there is letters in his/hers name and the reciever has to guess who send it. The reciever has three guesses and if s/he doesn't guess the sender's name s/he owes the sender an easter egg. Don't ask me how the sender makes sure the reciever doesn't use more than three guesses, but it's mostly parents who mysteriously can't guess who sent them a 'gækkebrev' and ends up owing their child an easter egg :p

 As I have send my share of 'gækkebreve' I felt that they where an easter tradition I can vouch for, I decided I had to do 'gækkebreve' on my nails..

 Here is my take on 'gækkebreve' with the riddle on them.. I did the lettering in acrylic paint, so some of it was moved around when I put on topcoat.. weird..



Hah not perfect at all, but that was the best I could do :p Here's a shot of my right hand before the wording..:

And here is both my hands, including the thumbs where I did a whole 'gækkebrev' on them, with a 'gækkebrev' I did in the background..


And here's the quick 'gækebrev' I did for this occasion.:

The involved:
Wet'n'Wild French White Creme, China Glaze Gaga for Green and Electric Beat, Barry M 279 and acrylic paint for the lettering..
 
 The other girls participating in this challenge :)
Michelle - Lab Muffin
Alanna - Pretty Purple Polish
Holly - Hooked!
Maria - Maria's Nail Art
Tif - Polished Genius
Lyndsey - Nails by Ms. Lizard
Catrine - Unnaked Nails
Melanie - Nail & Polish
Jessica - Beauty Gnome

Do you have a tradition like 'gækkebreve' where you come from?

Have fun and take care :)

24 comments:

  1. LOL Hvor er de seje! Skide godt lavet på tommelfingrene :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah tusind tak :D Det er jeg glad for ;)

      Delete
  2. What a cute and great idea, I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this adorable story - so sweet! The nail art is lovely and I like the colours too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome :) I kind of figured this needed an explanation :p I'm glad you like it :)

      Delete
  4. the background to that is lovely!! i like this lots! the mani is funky too.. i like the colour combo :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, isn't it? Thanks a lot for the nice words :)

      Delete
  5. I like! I love paper crafts! The detail on your thumb is exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun, yes! I'm glad you like the thumbs I was kind of proud of those too :)

      Delete
  6. I love the history behind this...thanks for sharing with us. It it a unique mani and the color selection is perfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is lovely :) Aaw thanks a lot! You make me blush!

      Delete
  7. I love this a lot! It looks very traditional :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you do :) I guess it is kind of traditional! haha

      Delete
  8. I love learning about different traditions.. This looks GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is always fun, yes! And thanks a lot :)

      Delete
  9. Cool tradition. We just made easter bonnets (hats) at school. Basically a square plastic container with paper and decorative things stuck on them. Then we would wear them on our heads and have an Easter parade! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that sounds fun! Like a basket on your head or something? :)

      Delete
  10. Interesting tradition, thanks for sharing it! :) And what a lovely nail design, the colours are really nice together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the concept! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...